SJI works to ensure that all levels of the workforce reflect the composition of the region we serve. Our commitment to inclusion is demonstrated through welcoming and supporting employees from all backgrounds so they can achieve their full potential. We strongly believe that differences of culture, circumstances and view play a key role in broadening our ability to grow our company and that a diverse workplace maximizes employee performance and creates value for our customers and our shareholders.
Diversity is the collective strength of experiences, skills, talents, perspectives, and cultures that each employee brings to SJI. It's how we create a dynamic business environment to serve our customers.
Inclusion is about respecting and valuing the unique dimension each employee adds to the organization and recognizing that employees are at their creative and productive best when they work in an inclusive work environment.
We are in a better position to meet the needs of all employees when we have a diverse workforce.
SJI Women’s Leadership Initiative
The SJI’s Women’s Leadership Initiative encourages growth and development through on-going mentoring and the sharing of information and expertise. The group’s goal is to develop a strong community where members communicate, educate, collaborate, influence, network, and encourage one another. The Leadership Initiative shares ideas and information throughout the organization and sponsors educational activities that benefit both individual members and the SJI as a whole.
The group supports three key tenets, with identifying activities that allow the women of SJI to create connections and gain support throughout the organization. These three key tenets are community involvement, education, and networking and mentoring.
- Community service initiatives are developed to serve key agencies and non-profits throughout the region.
- Education creates a culture that encourages learning and growth. The group provides opportunities that support education and encourage collaborative and professional dialog.
- Networking and mentoring initiatives occur through the development of networking events, as well as, coaching and mentoring opportunities with internal staff and external mentors.
Senior executives actively participate in SJI’s Women’s Leadership Initiative and organizations such as Executive Women of New Jersey and the Forum of Executive Women.
American Association of Blacks in Energy
AABE is a national association of energy professionals founded and dedicated to ensure the input of African Americans and other minorities into the discussions and developments of energy policy regulations, R&D technologies, and environmental issues. The purposes of AABE are the following:
- To serve as a resource for policy discussion of the economic, social and political impact of environmental and energy policies on African Americans and other minorities.
- To ensure involvement of minorities in governmental energy policymaking by recommending capable, sensitive and informed personnel to appropriate officials.
- To encourage both the public and private sectors to be responsive to the problems, goals and aspirations of minorities in energy-related fields.
- To encourage minority students to pursue careers in energy-related fields and to provide scholarships and other financial aid for such students.
In February 2010, SJI formed a South Jersey Chapter of the American Association of Blacks in Energy. The group was chartered in May and they are in the process of expanding membership to other organizations in southern New Jersey. The South Jersey Chapter has three standing committees: Networking and Communication; Community Service and Scholarship; and Education and Awareness.
Emerging Leaders Employee Resource Group
The Emerging Leaders’ vision statement is to: Develop, equip, and retain Emerging Leaders through targeted initiatives and programs encouraging innovation, professional growth, and development.
The main focuses are:
- Social Programming
- Professional Development
- Civic Engagement
The Professional Development Team’s focus is to help provide improvements and increase understanding of South Jersey Industries practices through access to training, seminars, panel discussions and mentor opportunities. We want to help bridge the gap between executives, management and our future rising stars by providing the opportunities and exposure needed to create the next great leaders here at South Jersey Industries.
The Civic Engagement team is focused on creating positive and meaningful engagement with the members of our South Jersey community. In 2018 the Civic Engagement team has dedicated itself to partnering with Atlantic County's Adopt-A-Road and the Boys and Girls Club of Atlantic City.